Friday, January 19, 2007

Stretch out your hand

Author Elizabeth Elliot writes in A Lamp for My Feet about a game she played as a young girl. She writes, "My mother or father would say, 'Shut your eyes and hold out your hand.' that was the promise of some lovely surprise. I trusted them, so I shut my eyes instantly and held out my hand. Whatever they were going to give me I was ready to take." She continues, "So should it be in our trust of our heavenly Father. Faith is the willingness not to have what He does not want to give."

Do you have unanswered prayers? Do you ever wonder if God has forgotten you or has stopped listening? I have! I am not like Elizabeth, often I keep one eye partially opened wondering if what God has promised in His word is going to be lovely. I hold out my hand proclaiming my belief, but in my heart I am ready to tuck it back in. "Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness." Gen. 15:6

Jeremiah 29:11, a much quoted scripture says, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." By faith, I choose to believe God. I gently close my eyes and uninhibitedly I stretch out my arm and open my hand with fingers spread to receive His promises, given His way and in His time.

5 comments:

Susanne said...

What a beautiful illustration! And how many times have I sort of been peeking and then quickly drew my hand back because I was fearful. Silly old me!

Kelly said...

Love this picture of fearless faith. I have to admit to being a peeper many times, so thank you for this post! I need to close my hands and reaching out expectantly.

Janis Rodgers said...

Your post has really touched me. It just came to me how often I keep that eye open, just to make sure that what I am getting is good, rather than believing that He is in control. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

Cyndi said...

Yes! What a great post. I have been reminding myself lately and choosing to think about what a GOOD God He is. He will not give me a snake or a stone. I need not be afraid to stretch out my hand.

Carolanne said...

I find it difficult to close my eyes and hold out my hand although I know that He will only put good things there. He will only give me what is for my best so why do I hesitate?
Great post, thanks for sharing!