Monday, January 08, 2007

S.O.A.P. for today

It is the beginning of the week. The first full week of hopefully getting back into a regular routine. I have much to accomplish this week with two weeks of laundry to get caught up, cleaning bathrooms, washing bedding, planning meals, not to mention several closets and other areas that desperately need some attention. I can easily begin to allow myself to feel overwhelmed, because in the midst of it all life has to happen, kids fed, nurtured, read to, played with, and I need to reserve some energy and time to enjoy my husband. And I haven't even mentioned what I need and hope to accomplish for the church.

But before I begin with my things, I start with His ways. Last week I shared here about the Life Journal. S.O.A.P. is the acrostic used for the journal. No matter what I need to accomplish today, I first begin with this.

Here is an entry in my Life Journal from last week that I am also using tomorrow as part of the teaching in our ladies bible study:

Title: "Did God really say?" 1/2/07
S. (Scripture)
Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, "Did God really say, 'You must not eat from any tree in the garden'?" Genesis 3:1

O. (Observation)
The serpent questions God's word and doesn't even quote it correctly, "you must not eat from any tree" He questions God's Word raising doubts about the truthfulness of what He has said.

A. (Application)
Do I take God at His word or do I question it? Do I listen to the enemies lies or allow the world to influence what God is speaking to me in His word?

P. (Prayer)
Lord, I want to take you at Your word. Help me to hear and obey what you have spoken. Reveal to me areas in my life where I have believed a lie, half-truth, or questioned Your words.

I chose this entry because although short, it packs a powerful reminder to me at the beginning of this new year to become a woman who takes God at His word.

6 comments:

Heth said...

Oooh! A sneak peek! I am really excited about this study, it's going to be a good one.....not that the other ones haven't been. You know what I mean. :)

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

Have a good Bible Study. I'm sure the ladies will love it!

Kim said...

That sounds great,Chris! I like the way you do that! I think it would help me remember things I read better,too.

Kim

Susanne said...

I'm so glad you shared this with us because it gives a tangible example. I'm so excited to get going on this. Going out to get a journal tonight!

Anonymous said...

I really like soap. It keeps me clean and smelling fragrant. I also like your s.o.a.p. acrostic--for the same reasons.

Kelly said...

I'm so glad you shared about your Life Journal. I linked you in my post today.