Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I know it is very strange...

I absolutely love biographies. At a young age I read "The Hiding Place" over and over. I still have the very tattered copy on my bookshelf. I am not sure where the love comes from exactly. Could it be that I am nosy, curious, or perhaps it is my love of history, time lines, and geography. I have always been fascinated with the past(not my own just those that have lived before me). I love old pictures and the stories behind them. For many years I have collected old books.
Which brings me to the first two books I am reading for pleasure (somewhat) in the new year.

I am going to join in with Girltalks Book Club and read Elizabeth Prentiss 'More Love to Thee'. I have already read the Forward and Preface and
I am anxiously wanting to go on. But I will refrain and stay with the group.



While unpacking books a few months back I uncovered a treasure I forgot I had, A Time for Remembering: The Ruth Bell Graham Story. My copy was published in 1983 and given to me by a friend who was serving in the mission field. Today there is a newer version titled,Ruth, A Portrait: The Ruth Bell Graham Story published in 1997. I have also read the preface and forward in this book and I am looking forward to reading her life story and what it is like to be the wife of the most famous Christian evangelist of this century.

Two women from different centuries. I hope I can keep the details of their lives straight.

5 comments:

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

I am looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of "More Love to Thee". I have wanted to read it for years! Have you ever read her "Stepping Heavenward" book?

Susanne said...

I love biographies. I haven't read Ruth Bell's but I have read both Billy and Franklin Graham's. And that other one sounds good too!

Kelly said...

Hey Chris, I am joining the Girl Talk book club, too. I have the book on order and should arrive soon. So glad that we can read it together.

Kim said...

I've ordered that one,too...I'm going to try to read along with Girls Talk,too.

Kim

Unknown said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I'm enjoying my visit here.

I, too, love biographies. The Prentiss one is on my list, because I love her fiction (which I think is quite autobiographical). I am currently reading Amy Carmicheal's biography by Elisabeth Elliot. I love it.