Thursday, January 11, 2007

I want to be like the tree


As I pulled away from the school this morning I found myself a bit reflective. That is of the trees. Along 2nd Ave. there are these huge trees one right after the other.
There they stood this morning in the brisk cold air towering high into the sky naked as ever. It was almost like they were a bit proud of their position, their season, this time that they were given. Normally I don't notice them much at this time of year but rather look forward to the new life they bring in spring or the dramatic performance they give in fall. Yet I know from my brief studies of the seasons while my oldest daughter was in kindergarten, that at this time or season all of their energy and efforts are put into their root system in order for survival during the harshness of winter.
And then I saw it, not the naked limbs which seem so vulnerable to the elements but the huge trunk with what almost looked like legs going down deep into the ground. All of a sudden in an instant I realized I want to be like those trees. No, not naked, but rather with deep roots and a strong foundation because life is often referred to as seasons.
I know that during the difficult winter the tree is at risk of being hurt, losing a limb or two or three, and gasp even being forced to be pruned. But what if a tree refused to give up those leaves and stay green all year and put forth all of their energy towards staying in this one season, never changing? Like me at times, the tree would look pretty silly and eventually die of sickness and disease due to a poor root system. I could almost see it, the tree holding on to those dear leaves with everything it has as the cold air blew across the sky and than crying out for help, "Oh, dear God have mercy on me."
Am I like a tree refusing to go through the season that God is taking me? Do I resist the pruning? Am I more worried about what others see in me or am I concerned about only the roots, the foundation on which I am to stand even if it means I have to go through the barrenness of a winter season.
As I pulled into the garage and entered the warmth of my home, I asked the Lord to forgive me for holding onto so many leaves, for not shedding those things, those thoughts, and stand barren before Him with my only desire to please and know Him. I asked Him to help make my roots strong because this is what will sustain my life in every season!

12 comments:

Tina said...

make my roots strong.... great thoughts to ponder today.

Anonymous said...

Amen!

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

What a good post. Remind me of Psalm 1!

Susanne said...

Awesome post, Chris! Too many times I have run screaming from that pruning. But it is the pruning that allows the tree to produce more and better fruit.

Lori said...

This is beautiful. And it really spoke to me, thank you for writing it.

Kelly said...

What a beautiful analogy! it is amazing how God speaks His truth to us through His creation if we are careful enough to listen. I feel challenged to slow down and practice His presence-thank you!

melanie said...

awesome thoughts. i heard it compared once to sidewalks, the roots were so desperate for Him and His word they moved concrete.

Janis Rodgers said...

Amen! You so blessed me this morning! Blessings to you!

Kim said...

This was a great analogy and one that spoke to me as I try to live a more godly life that must be rooted in devotion to God. I appreciate your beautiful way of expressing such wise thoughts!

Kim

Anonymous said...

That's a good post for me as we are in the midst of season change in our lives right now!

Cyndi said...

Like Julie, I thought of Psalm 1 as well. Oh, how I want my roots to grow deep, so that I might be well-watered.

I am in the process of allowing God to prune me. Ouch! I have to remember, though, that when The Gardner is pruning, He is near...

Great post!

Donnetta said...

Wonderful post and great word picture!

I also wanted to say I am so glad to have you in "My Quiet Corner". I am glad you are a new reader there. Pleaes feel welcome anytime! I enjoy your presence there!