Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Love and Acceptance

Two words that I have struggled to grasp for myself: love and acceptance. For many reasons, some of which the Lord has showed me through the years and others that I am still seeking, learning and trying to understand.
Some people are so comfortable in the presence of others. When they visit your home they don't need to ring the doorbell. They come through the back door. They don't notice if your house is a mess. They will just step over, push aside, or join in on whatever is going on.
How do they do it? It is simply acceptance. The kind of love and acceptance that doesn't come to see your stuff, but to see you.
These people leave behind their expectations of how others should be and what they should do. To them, every person is a buried treasure to be discovered and enjoyed. Differences, evaluations, judgements and makeovers are not their job. Loving acceptance is.
When such a person takes me into her heart, it is certain that she cannot stay long out of mine.

8 comments:

Kim said...

I love this! It is nice to have people love and accept you-for you. In spite of our failings and messiness. God loves us that way and I am so glad. He loved us when we were still His enemies. Not just messy,but corrupt!

Kim

Heth said...

"These people leave behind their expectations of how others should be and what they should do"

Love this.

Susanne said...

This was so good Chris! I know how good it feels to have someone like this in my life and reach toward that goal of showing others this. I fail lots, but I am working to do this for others.

Janis Rodgers said...

I love those kind of people and wish I was more like them. I am working on it, though! Blessings, Chris!

Anonymous said...

I had one friend like this, who loved me no matter what - we accepted each other. We had our disagreements but still remained true friends. Sadly to say she moved to England and this relationship is sorely missed as I've not found another like her. No wait, if I don't count my husband I haven't found another like her :)
Thanks for sharing.

Cyndi said...

What a great post! Oh, how I want to be characterized by loving acceptance. I'm afraid I'm not, but I'm working on it. Thanks for this today.

melanie said...

how we all long for that, not coming to see your stuff but to see you. great insight Chris, beautifully said.

Anonymous said...

It's hard, sometimes, to grasp the love and acceptance that comes from the Lord, but it's there anyway. It's so vital to have friends like this in our lives!