Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Chile Relleno Casserole


If you love mexican food, you'll love this yummy casserole which can be made into a low-fat version very easily.


Chile Relleno Casserole

2 (7 oz.) cans Ortega diced green chilies
1 lb. grated Sharp Cheddar
1 lB. grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 (13 oz) can evaporated skim milk
3 tbsp. flour
3 whole eggs plus 1 extra egg white

HERE'S THE LOW FAT VERSION

2 (7 oz.) cans Ortega diced green chilies
1/2 lb. grated low-fat Sharp Cheddar
1/2 lb. grated low-fat Monterey Jack cheese *
1 (13 oz) can evaporated skim milk
3 tbsp. flour
4 egg whites or egg substitute
* more cheese can be added if necessary but sparingly

Mix ingredients; pour into 9 x 13 inch casserole dish sprayed with a low-fat cooking spray. Bake at 325 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes.
Sprinkle top with thinly sliced tomatoes as soon as it is baked. Serve with fresh salsa.

For more great ideas go here

13 comments:

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

Yum! My Aunt used to make these and they were so good. I have never made them for myself.

Pamela said...

Oh, you don't know how excited I was when I saw someone had posted a Mexican recipe! It looks incredible too! :)

gail@more than a song said...

The lowfat version looks pretty good! I have trouble finding lowfat cheese though, especially Monterey Jack.

Kim said...

Sounds yummy,Chris! Thanks for sharing. I love to get new recipes!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yummy! I love Mexican food! Thanks for sharing (both versions)!!!

Kelly said...

I love mexican, so this will be fun to try.

Susanne said...

This sounds sooo good!

Cyndi said...

Okay... YUM! This sounds like just the thing my family will like. Thanks!! :)

Tina said...

that sounds delicious! I'm so hungry right now!

An Ordinary Mom said...

I am always looking for more mexican dishes. Thanks for sharing.

Terri | Sugar Free Glow said...

My husband will love this--thanks!~

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I stopped by today! I love mexican and have just printed off this recipe.

PastormacsAnn said...

Yum, I love Chile Rellenos! This looks delicous.