Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Renown for Praying

In the next chapter of Feminine Appeal, Author Jerry Bridges is quoted in an explanation to distinguish between kindness and goodness which are often used interchangeably.
"Kindness he says, is a sincere desire for the happiness of others, and goodness is the activity calculated to advance that happiness"
I especially appreciate the practical ways she encourages us in bringing joy to our families through goodness. She says, "We should be women who are known for praying, greeting, listening, encouraging and planning. "
I have asked the question of myself, "Am I renown for bringing goodness to my family in these areas?" I have taken one area each day this week to evaluate how effective or ineffective I am as a wife and mother in these particular areas.
Carolyn Mahaney says, "And who better to pray for them than us? No one knows our family members the way we do. No one is more familiar with the unique temptations and pressures they face. No one can pray for them with keener insight or greater compassion."
I count it a privilege to pray for my husband and children. We should remind them often of our commitment to praying for them. When I know someone is praying for me I am more likely to ask for specific prayer. How comforting for our family to know they have us anchored in prayer for them. What Joy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chris-I have not read this book yet,but the Mayhaneys came to our church last year for a conference. Carolyn spoke to the women on modesty. It was very good! I am going to have to read this one. It sounds good!

Thanks for visiting my blog!
Kim