Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A look at Fall

This afternoon I put away the light coats since the weather doesn't seem to be promising the temperatures that we so enjoyed a week ago. The leaves have been beautiful this year. Last week on what may have been one of our last warm days of the season, Coleman and I took a little nature walk while waiting for school to get out. We sat under this tree for about a half hour in the afternoon sun. He played with sticks, leaves, and found a few bugs, while I just enjoyed the quiet moments with him. And by the way I love the way the photo above turned out. I was trying to capture the color of these leaves not noticing the barren trees off in the distance and what a beautiful contrast it makes. I couldn't help but ponder the season that we are in and how quickly the seasons change with our kids. It seems when they are little the days can feel long and then one day you look up and ask yourself, "what happen?" The changes are coming so quickly you can't seem to keep up.





Hunter is in his third year of soccer and still loves it. He played in two tournaments this fall and we were so thankful for the beautiful weather. One day while walking across the soccer field and looking over at a college game being played he said, "when I grow up I want to be a professional soccer player and a pastor."

Kelsey played 7th grade volleyball and loved it. She had a great season! We loved going to her games and even enjoyed traveling to the away games. Her only complaint was that the season was too short. She is loving Junior High and we are loving watching her grow and change.


Theo had an extremely fun year in football. He made some new friends and played really well. He is #54 in this photo. The best part was that he spent the entire season with his dad as one of the coaches. I loved hearing them come through the door at night talking about the game and what they had learned. It was a sweet time. Theo is my kid who has changed the most over this past year. Everything about him is changing. It is also fun to watch. (note to self - I need to write a post about this)


Lauren has been busy with football cheerleading and musical. Thankfully she has her license and now her own car. It is hard for me to believe we are in the final years of high school with her. I feel at times it was yesterday we started Kindergarten.

A lady asked me today what I enjoyed most about being able to be at home with my kids, and I told her, "getting the front row seat in my child's life."

7 comments:

Diana said...

Wow. What a terrific post. The pictures are beautiful, but my mind is even more captured by the pictures drawn with your words. I sense the joy and peace in you of knowing who you are in Christ and what matters in your life. I have this picture in my mind of Lauren being so little and Kelsey and Theo being little toddlers and you pregnant with Hunter. I remember telling you when you left that our loss was Grass Valley's gain - well, now it's Iowa, but the truth behind the statment still stands. You are a treasure. You have spoken into and blessed my life in ways you may never know. Be blessed, in Jesus' mighty name. XO.

Heth said...

I love the shot of the leaves Chris. Your action shots of the kids are great too. Time if flying by, you are right.

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

LOVE your answer about being home!!! very clever!

Mocha with Linda said...

Love the pictures and how you summed up being a SAHM. I totally agree!

My girl played 8th grade VB this year at school. She loved it and it was fun to watch the games, but it ended just in time. This is the first Thursday without a game, and I'm so glad I don't have to hobble on crutches up the bleachers!

Lisa Spence said...

Love the update on the family!

Cyndi said...

Yes, the days sometimes crawl by the the years fly! I often feel like I've got a front row seat to something amazing God is doing. I'm so glad! I loved this post!

Sandy said...

Awesome to hear about your kids. Love the soccer player and pastor idea! ♥