Thursday, February 08, 2007

Home is where your heart is!

Before I begin my actual post for today I have something to say about my choice of Wordless Wednesday posts. It is not my intention to torture anyone with the wonders of summer. (if you are wondering what this is about go read the comments from her, her, and her and probably more!) I promise when we are sitting outside fanning our faces with sweat dripping down our backs, I will post the snow pictures I am currently taking. Until then, this week's picture was taken in my parents backyard at what I would call my childhood home and I am mourning just a bit.
Now for the actual post I had planned for today. I moved to 9721 Kennelly Lane right before the 4th grade and lived there until I was married. My family has now lived in this house for over 35 years and they are getting ready to put it on the market. My parents have already purchased a new home in another state and are in the final stages of their move.

Don't misunderstand me I am very happy for them. God has truly provided for their desire at this season of life. But I am extremely sentimental over certain things and this is one of them. I know it is just a house, but it is filled with so many memories. The address, phone number, and even a few neighbors have remained the same for 35 years. This past summer after spending nearly two weeks visitng and knowing this was probably my last time at the house, I found myself nearly out of breath trying to keep myself from breaking down and weeping upon leaving. I had awoke early the morning of our departure and spent some time with the Lord. I walked through the rooms quietly in the stillness of the morning while everyone else slept. Growing up the house was about 1400 sqaure feet, and later my parents added an additional 500.
Looking at the tiny room in the middle of the hallway which once graced yellow and lime green walls, the bathroom in which I first learned about make-up and other girly things, the place on the floor where I would lay for what seemed like hours talking on the phone to friends because the phone was connected to the wall all just seemed to take place moments before. The first time my husband came to the door, the place he asked my dad if he could marry me, the mark on the steps where we once sat and talked and even the place in front where we always parked our car when visiting all were etched in my mind. Even my children have spent many days and years running through Grandma's house, watching their favorite movie in what she called the "sanctuary", eating at the counter, taking baths in their deep kitchen sink, and of course summertime literally living in their swimming pool, except for eating and sleeping.
I realize as I boarded the plane later that morning to come home, that I hold the memories, not the house. The memories will go where I go and are locked in my heart. After all, home is truly where my heart is. I will miss going to 9721, but there are new memories to be made at their new home and for this I am very thankful!

yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. James 4:14

9 comments:

Lori said...

Oh goodness you should of seen me when my grandmother sold her house I was a basket case. For me that house represented my childhood (even more than my own house). Grandmas house was a house of good memories and being a child.

I know what you write of. The good news is the memories don't leave.

melanie said...

kelsey has told me more than once how much she adores the house. (esp. the pool!) i told her i'd tag along next summer to co instead. God is always changing and flowing isn't He? praying that the next page will be just as beautiful for you!

Janis Rodgers said...

I went through this the past summer when my parents sold the house I grew up in. It was very sad and I was quite depressed over them selling, but the house is not where the memories are located-they are located in me and my family. I hope that your parents enjoy this new journey! Blessings, Chris!

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

That is so nice that you were able to grow up in the same home and that your children were able to enjoy visiting there for a season too. Our son in law enjoyed the same blessing (unlike the family he married into, who moved every other year as a Marine Corps family!).

Heth said...

This is so sweet Chris. I completely understand, the memories are precious.

Kelly said...

It is so wonderful that you have memories like that! How special to live in one place for so long. I hope to be able to build a home and memories like that for my children. You are not silly for those feelings--I would feel the same way!!

Tina said...

speechless

Cyndi said...

This was just precious. And I had a yellow and lime green room, too, sista!!

What a beautiful description of your childhood address, which will forever have a home in your heart. {{{hug}}}

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Your blog is so rich.
It's a window into who you are- in Him, because of Him and by His design.