Thursday, January 17, 2008

Two Reflections ~ One Life

This was originally posted in April 2007

As I gaze at my husband’s face, I see the reflection of my mother in law in his life, her gentle touch, her warm embrace and her love for God and His word. But I also see the smile of another woman who laid her hands on her belly and thanked God for her unborn child.
Over forty one years ago, two sisters living not far from each other, both pregnant with their third child, but their lives and circumstances were miles apart. The older sister in her mid twenties was happily married and a new Christian. The younger sister was in her early twenties, separated from her estranged husband and expecting a baby from a man who was not her husband. Both were confronted with a very difficult and heart wrenching choice. A choice made by two women that only God could orchestrate. A choice made by each mother that no matter which way you looked at it, hearts would rejoice and hearts would feel pain.
The choice of a younger sister to give her baby to be adopted by her older sister was one in which she made knowing fully that her own future would not prove to be the best for this unborn child she carried in her womb. Her older sister by only a few years, also carrying new life in her womb, along with the love and support of her husband made the choice to adopt this child as their own. A decision, I am sure was done by the leading of the Holy Spirit for this young couple, but also filled with questions by curious on lookers.
Over forty years later this baby, whose life was forever changed by the loving choice of two women, is now sharing the gospel every week to hundreds of people, a husband to his wife for over twenty years and a loving father to five children. Both women sacrificed a great deal in order that he may experience life and the salvation of Jesus Christ.
My mother in law, the older sister, has reflected Christ to me through her love and willingness to give freely of herself and adopt a baby boy and bring new life not only to him but to his future all while expecting her own child. She was willing to put herself aside and become a living sacrifice unto the Lord. My mother and father in law proudly share that they were there at his birth and carefully swaddled this new bundle and took him home from the hospital. His younger sister was born just five weeks later.
Every year, as I celebrate the death and resurrection of my Lord and Savior and his willingness to go to the cross for me in order that I may have new life, I can't help but think of these two women. No they would never want to be compared to Christ in any way, for they both know from where their hope comes from, but I am so grateful that they were willing to put their fears aside and follow the plan that God had laid before them. Thank you Sara, my beautiful mother in law, for being a reflection of Him; And thank you Jessie, for trusting God with his life.

24 comments:

Rebeca said...

What a beautiful story you have gotten to become part of! Thanks for sharing it.

Tammy said...

Oh, Chris...what a beautiful story! And what a wonderful testimony of how God works!

I'm not sure if you read my post a week or so back about my husband's brother and sister adopting a new little one. This baby's birth mother was a little girl that my husband's other sibling had adopted, but went her own way as a teen. Your story reminded me so much of theirs!

I love how God uses negative circumstances like this and turns around for good and His glory!

Anonymous said...

A wonderful true life story
thanks for sharing

Praise and Coffee said...

Oh my goodness, what an amazing and beautiful story. Thank you so much for telling us about it.

What depth of love both these women have. Wow.

Also...you have a real gift to write and tell a story!

Terri | Sugar Free Glow said...

What a beautiful story! I love happy endings!

Christine said...

Chris, this is wonderful. Not just the story or that you get to be a part of it, but that you honor both mothers and their part in growing your husband into the man he has become. What a blessing for him to know the love that went into both decisions. Wonderful post!

Heth said...

That is beautiful Chris.

Linda said...

This is such a moving story of unselfish love Chris. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Natalie Joy said...

You have so beautifully and eloquently shared this amazing story of God's work in your husband's life and in his family. I think his story gives hope and comfort to those in similar situations. What a great way to honor both women. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,

Great story. Hey, I am also trying to find your post about the secret. Can you email me at unequalmarriage@verizon.net

I would so love to talk with you about this book, positive thinking repackages for this generation - be your own God. Email me soon. Love and hugs, Lynn

Deidre said...

What an amazing story of following God's plan, Chris. I'm sure neither woman knew that baby would be 'the feet that carry the gospel', but they were both willing to trust God. Amazing!

Thanks, also, for the 'thinking blog' award. I am humbled since it's coming from someone as gifted as you!

Anonymous said...

Chris,
this story wasn't new to me, but you brought tears to my eye anyway! What a beautiful way of expression you have.

Rachel Anne said...

Wow, what a moving life story. Beautifully told.

Katherine@Raising Five said...

Chris, I have tears in my eyes. Adoption is the most beautiful picture of Christ's love for us. I never thought about how being the one to give up the child could also be showing His love as well.

Lisa Spence said...

Absolutely beautiful.

No other comment needed.

Kelly said...

Beautiful--we serve a an amazing, sovereign God!

Cyndi said...

I remember being SO moved by this story the first time I read it. Our God is so amazing. He is always at work, Romans 8:28-ing things in ways we could never imagine. Praise You, Lord.

Mocha with Linda said...

Beautiful beyond words.

As We Sail... said...

I am so glad I found your post. It will make my day. My grandparents adopted my grampa's nephew (my dad) away from his alcoholic parents after their new baby died of neglect. I'm so grateful he was brought up in a better atmosphere, so that I would be too.

Tammy said...

I remember reading this story back in June...Oh, there I am! I see my little eye peaking out from my first reply! LOL

Seriously, this is such a beautiful and incredible story...and so beautifully written, too, Chris!
Thank you for sharing this again!

Celly B said...

Wow, what an amazing story! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Aunt Angie said...

Chris...tears in my eyes...that was beautiful. The anguish of not knowing the outcome...the peace that comes in trusting HIM. What a testimony. You blessed me.

Mocha with Linda said...

I've missed you this week and am praying that your situation/trip went well.

Mocha with Linda said...

When you get back to the world of blogs, stop by and check out my blog from today (Saturday 1/27).