Thursday, August 23, 2007

So I don't forget...

The first day of school is slowly ticking away and I am trying real hard to think about what our new routine will look like since I admitted that I was sooo ready for one. But even though, I must say that first day of school good-byes always leave a lump in my throat. They did eleven years ago when my oldest started school and this morning was no different.

As I walked my first grader to his class he informed me that he knew exactly where to line up. I noticed a confidence in his step as we walked past the Kindergarten area. He looked up at me and smiled as if to say, "been there done that" and continued on down the path towards the lines of older kids. His teacher quickly greeted us with a warm welcome and smile and he stepped right into line with a few of his friends from church. I took a few photos, told him I was going to leave and that is when it happened. He didn't grab my neck and plant a huge kiss on my cheek and give me one of those never ending hugs, but rather he quietly looked around and simply kissed the side of my face and looked at me with those blue eyes to say, "it's ok mom, I am bigger now and I will be ok." I thought to myself, "I don't doubt that son, but I won't".

As I stepped back and watched him walk into the building I quietly whispered to the Lord, "please watch over him not just today, but everyday as he lines up, sits down, and goes out to play."

9 comments:

Judy said...

Amen.

Susanne said...

Awwww. And that's where I also would have gone in the car and let the tears flow. They grow up so fast don't they? I remember whispering that prayer many a day as I walked away.

Terri said...

Been there, done that! This year, my last baby, my first grader will start school on Sept. 4th. Last year I had to walk her to her room everyday for the first few months, then one day, "I can do it myself mom." So on that day I started dropping them off at the front door of the school and getting hugs before they left (maybe b/c we were inside the van and no one could see them giving mom a hug)I watched all three of my children run in the door, happy to be there. This year, I will walk them in the first day and after that, drop them at the door again. She lost her first tooth last week and so I know the growing up process is at hand and coming like a frieght train!

I am right there with you. Our prayers as moms is so powerful, we have to keep it up. Their growing up brings such joy and at the same time such sadness. I want those hugs and kisses to last forever!

melanie said...

i can just see him there! it's so awesome to see them grow though into a little man with a heart after God and making choices for Him!

Heth said...

*sniffle*

Cyndi said...

"I don't doubt that son, but I won't". Oh, Chris!!! This made me cry!!

What an absolutely precious post. I hope the first day of school was a wonderful one for each of them. What a fun time! And blessings to you as you discern and begin the ready pace of this year's routine.

What a sweet mom you are!

Lisa Spence said...

I will never forget taking my firstborn to kindergarten. I didn't cry, he didn't cry, but his brother did! :-)

A dear friend of mine would always remind me: we raise 'em to let 'em go. And so we do. But not without much, much, MUCH prayer!

May God grant you wisdom and discernment as you begin to establish a new school routine!

Susan said...

I so remember those days......many many, many moons ago. But everytime I hear someone talking about this it makes me get all teary.......love your posts.

Rachel Anne said...

(sniff!) Oh, that's just so precious! What a little man...just kinda breaks your heart, doesn't it? I hope ya'll had a great first day!!