Friday, August 10, 2007

All for Him

Once there was an old monk who sang a Christmas song every Christmas Eve. His voice was ugly, but he loved the Lord and sang from his heart. One day the head of the cloister said, "I'm sorry, Brother Don, we have a new monk with a beautiful voice...he will sing this Christmas." The man sang so beautifully that everyone was happy. But that night an angel came to the superior and said; "Why didn't you have
a Christmas Eve song?" The superior answered, "We had a beautiful song." But the angel said sadly, "We did not hear it in heaven." You see, the old monk had a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus, but the young man sang for his own benefit, not for the Lord's glory.

...whatsoever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Cor. 10:31

Lord, self slips in so easily, when all I want is to do things for Your glory. Let me always hear the voice of Your Holy Spirit. ( a prayer by Corrie Ten Boom)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, that is why I am doing what I am doing and HE is in charge of how it works out--I just need to do what He says and do my best.

Thank you.

Judy said...

Wonderfully written reminders.

Cyndi said...

What a powerful illustration.

How I want my song heard in heaven!

Linda said...

What a beautiful reminder Chris. It is always the heart that really matters.

Susan said...

I was just browsing through blogs, I'm a new blogger............WOW how amazing I needed this, how self does creep in.

Thanks for obeying the Holy Spirit

Anonymous said...

Wow.... Neat story.

Thank you.

Angi said...

A great reminder, do all for His glory!