Friday, February 01, 2008

For You - Not Me

For five years my husband served as Pastor for a small church along Highway 49 in the foothills of the Sierras. It was a beautiful place to live! The view from our home was breathtaking. We lived on nearly two acres of hillside surrounded by towering pine and oak trees. Most days we were guaranteed the most beautiful blue skies. And for a girl who had spent every day before this with both the gray overcast mornings of the Southern California basin and the smog that would sit just above us except when the winds would blow through, the pure blue sky was a gift to be enjoyed.

Although our surroundings were beautiful, these were five of the most difficult, grueling, life transforming, growing, heart-wrenching, painful, very difficult (I can’t think of anymore adjectives to use to describe what I am trying to convey) years we have yet to experience both in life and ministry.

I remember one day in particular. I was complaining to God about all the chairs and tables my husband and I had to set up, the coffeepots we had to clean, the vacuuming, the errands, the toilets we scrubbed and the floors we mopped – the servant’s work. I was trying to explain to God that he was wasting all our experience and education by having us do so much menial work.

For the rest of this post please follow me over to the Cafe.

8 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

Chris - that was tremendous! Thanks so much for sharing your heart and your past struggles. What an important lesson for all of us that it's not the size of the task but our heart that matters.

Have a great day.

Love and blessings,
Linda

Susanne said...

I'm heading there now to finish this!

I have something for you at my site today!

Kelly said...

Heading right over . . .

Adrienne said...

Chris - Thanks for sharing. I have been in the same place at different times. Right now I needed the end of your post just the words of encouragement that God has a plan. Your words have encouraged me. Thank you for sharing! Blessings, Adrienne

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

Adrienne,
You and your husband have been so very faithful through the years. Don't lose hope. God does have a plan. Often times we don't see anything that looks like what we had hoped, but don't lose heart, God is at work.
Blessings,
Chris

Unknown said...

I don't know if I left a comment over there. But I loved this post. It was so very real and meaningful to me. Love you. Lynn

Cyndi said...

I read it over there but I came back "to the table" to comment... ;)

This was a powerful, powerful story! My husband's not a minister but we coordinate a pretty large ministry at our church that requires a lot of menial work for our family, and sometimes I must admit I do get bogged down in that part. I know I've "complained to God" myself. This story was a powerful reminder of WHO we're really serving. Thank you for posting this today... I needed to read it as we prepare to do our go through our afternoon and evening doing our "menial" tasks for our ministry... during the ::gasp:: Super Bowl, LOL.

Love you, sister!

Christine said...

That is one amazing story! What a humbling lesson, and a wonderful way to learn what God was doing through you!