Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Did you read the sign?



A sign in a cotton factory read: "If your threads get tangled, send for the foreman." One day a new worker got her threads tangled. The more she tried to disentangle them, the worse the situation grew. Finally, she sent for the foreman. He asked, "Why didn't you send for me earlier?" She replied, "I was doing my best." He answered, "No, your best would have been to send for me."



This little story is often a reminder to me of how I am tempted to respond to life. I'll fix it myself. After all I would like to show them that I am capable. When the threads of my life get tangled up, It is my reminder that I am a sinner, saved by grace and in desperate need of my Savior's help.

Prayer opens up the floodgates of God's infinite grace and power to flow toward the person in need. God can act without prayer, but He chooses to operate within the boundaries of human will and invitation. He allows us to participate in His work on earth with each prayer.

6 comments:

Susanne said...

I love this devotion, Chris. I'll remember the story the next time it gets all tangled up around here and call on God before I just make a bigger mess of it.

Judy said...

What a blessed message! The story of the threads will serve as a reminder to me!

Linda said...

That is a perfect picture of the way I am so often. Or - I actually do call for help and then proceed to pick up the threads again and work on it some more - helping God along a bit. How foolish I am.
This is a wonderful way to remember that we just can't undo the messes ourselves and that God is just a whisper away.
Lovely Chris.

Christine said...

I love this story. Thanks for sharing it, Chris!

Deidre said...

I love that analogy. I, too often, try to handle things myself or don't think my needs are important enough to take to the Father.

Thanks for sharing.

Terri | Sugar Free Glow said...

What a perfect message for me! I'm a "I can do it myself" kind of gal and it's very hard to ask for help. I need to seek Him first--always.

Thanks for sharing!