Friday, March 30, 2007

Puddle Jumping

I watched my six year old kindergarten son walk to his classroom this morning. We had left home without his backpack in hand and had to return home to retrieve it. When we returned to the school, he wasn't late yet, but his class had already gone inside. When other kids were hurrying up the sidewalk to find their place in line, my son unaware of those around him or the time, gently jumped over each puddle left on the sidewalk from the overnight rains. I sat watching and enjoying the moment as he carefully and joyfully leaped about the sidewalk even turning around at one point to make sure he jumped a puddle that was almost missed.

I am trying to treasure these days, his skinny little legs, his cheerful delight as he skips, hops, or runs to the building. Kindergarten is such a magical time for kids. Whether I homeschooled my kids in kindergarten or sent them to the public school, I have thoroughly enjoyed each of their kindergarten years.

Motherhood is exhausting at times and the demands are great. Too often I have missed these moments in my hurried state of trying to get to what is next. All of my children have gone through a growth spurt lately, not just in size, but in every area. It is like they are changing right before my eyes and I can do nothing to stop it but possibly stop myself and enjoy the moment.

13 comments:

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

Children do make the most beautiful moments.

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

What a true posting! I have a kindergartner myself right now. :)

Deidre said...

Thanks for the reminder, Chris. I need to slow down and treasure the moments. Time is flying by!

Susanne said...

Chris, this was just beautiful. And with my youngest now 12, I so fully know what you mean about time flying by. What I would give to relive some of those times and just relax instead of rolling down the window & telling them to hurry to catch up with their class, which is probably what I would have done.

Natalie Joy said...

How sweet.
We entered the school right by the Kindergarten rooms. The side walk up to the building could have been moving there were so many worms out. All the kids with me ran up yelling "ooh, gross".

Anonymous said...

Hi I have my bachelor in early childhood education and I too love watching children engaing in the world around them
they do grow quickly
enjoy it

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Ah yes, the 'number next' syndrome.. I know it well! These moments are priceless...When they happen to me, I pray to God to burn them in my mind so I'll never forget these precious times...

Tammy said...

Beautiful post...and so true. I'm constantly trying to remember to savor these days with my little ones!

Kim said...

The time does fly and I do want to savor every moment. I can just see your little one leaping over the puddles! What a precious sight!

Kim

Kelly said...

You have captured my heart. I am so striving to slow down and cherish those moments.

Tammy said...

PS...I just tagged you for an award! :) Come see...

Heth said...

At what age do we stop jumping in puddles? I think we should all have a good puddle jump today in honor or our kindergarten selves.

Cyndi said...

This post made me ache... I miss my kids being in kindergarten... first grade... fourth grade... This is my last year to have an "elementary age" child and it is KILLING me. These years go so quickly (though the days are sometimes long!) and I am stopping more and more to treasure them and just "drink in" some of the moments. This was a great post!